Hiring a Private Lawyer for Your Child During Divorce

Child who has a Private Child’s Lawyer

The Office of the Children’s Lawyer (OCL) is a government agency that represents children in custody and access proceedings. A judge cannot order that the OCL act for a child but simply can “request” that it do so. The government agency has the discretion to,

  • decide whether to have a child’s lawyer appointed
  • decide whether to have a child’s lawyer with social work assist appointed or
  • decide whether to have the best interest assessment conducted by a social worker

What if OCL Accepts the Case?

If the OCL decides to accept the case, the parents have no choice over the selection of a lawyer or social worker and cannot insist upon the best interest assessment being conducted. You can expect a delay in having an OCL lawyer/social worker becoming involved. It’s the government that makes these choices about your family.

There is an alternative…

Contact a Private Children’s Lawyer

I can help you. You can hire me privately to be your children’s lawyer. I team up with a social worker and together we can speak to your child to ascertain his/her views and preferences. We can also perform a best interest evaluation. I will even set a flat fee so you know the costs in advance. It is cost-effective, fast and we can assure you that the work is performed by highly qualified and experienced professionals.

Written by Lynn Kirwin, Lawyer a lawyer at Galbraith Family Law. To book a consult with Lynn, please visit our website. www.GalbraithFamilyLaw.com

Lynn Kirwin

Lynn Kirwin has been practicing law for 28 years. She specializes in high conflict family law cases with a focus on resolving them in an expedient and results-oriented manner. She believes in saving the client costs. She offers the option of limited scope retainers. As well, coaches many clients through the process of family court including assisting them with self-representation at trial. Her wide breadth of knowledge has lead her to have published several books on family law as well as other areas of law. She has expertise in child abuse cases having worked as in-house counsel at a Children’s Aid Society and having represented parents in court on child protection cases. She also is a panel member for the Office of the Children’s Lawyer, providing representation for children in court. She volunteers her time as the Chair of a Board for a women’s shelter and as President of the Orillia Law Association. She has two daughters who attend university. She enjoys spending her free time travelling with her husband, road cycling and taking long walks with her two beagles.

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Request a Consultation

Related Posts