It’s back to school time!

back to school marked on a calendar

This can be an exciting time for some kids and maybe a bit upsetting for others.  For parents that are separated, it can be an especially stressful time.  Questions come up about how much time the children should be spending with each parent or how the school holidays and PA days are going to be shared.  After- and before-school care, school supplies, and fees for extracurricular activities can add up quickly, and it can just as quickly turn into a disagreement about who should be paying for these expenses. Then there are those awkward situations like parent-teacher meetings and other school events where both parents want to be there for their kids.

It doesn’t just end when your kids graduate high school.  These questions continue and new issues arise when your kids are starting college or university.  In family law, children that attend post-secondary after finishing high school are considered to still be in need of support.  But, does Child Support change if they are living away during university? If they are living in residence, does that expense have to be covered by the parents?  What if the child is also paying for some of their own expenses?

You want to sort out these issues without getting the children involved, but, you don’t know where to start.  To help you navigate these difficult issues, contact us at Galbraith Family Law where one of our experienced Family Lawyers can answer all of your questions. Click here to book your initial consultation.

Written by Karman Lock, Family Law Lawyer.

Guest Author

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Request a Consultation

Related Posts