Newmarket: (289) 802-2433
Oakville: (905) 291-6634
St. Catharines 905-291-5231

Questions & Answers


My husband has committed adultery, along with abusing me. We’ve been together 12 years total, married last 2 years. He came into this relationship with nothing. I owned a home and have continued to do so. How much will he be entitled to? Does the family court even acknowledge adultery and abuse in a divorce?

— Nance W.


It is impossible for me to tell you your husband's entitlement since I don't know enough of the facts. Here is a link to the article on this website about how the equalization of property process works. HIs claim to a share of the property is not impacted by the adultery or abuse. But, it is possible for you to sue him for damages related to the adultery or abuse, depending on the damages suffered. Sorry if this sounds confusing. You would be wise to book a consultation with one of our lawyers who can discuss the details of your case and then describe to you your options.

Ask a Question

All questions submitted will be moderated to determine if they are suitable to appear on the website. Any answers given do not constitute legal advise and are intended for general information only.

Our team can help ease the stress of your family law situation. We offer virtual consultations to suit your busy schedule. Contact us today to get started.

Barrie (866) 602-1685 | Newmarket (289) 802-2433 | Oakville (647) 370-8965 | St. Catharines (905) 291-5231