Newmarket: (289) 319-0634
Oakville: (905) 291-6634
St. Catharines (905) 291-5231

Questions & Answers

Common law

My common law partner owns the house to which I have paid for unfortunately it’s been through the joint bank account. Since she has not worked since 2001 and it’s now 2014 what can I do to get my money back out of the house? The house was purchased for $325,000 and is now evaluated at $480,000.

— Brian V.


There is a possibility to argue that your common law partner has been holding the home in trust for you. You could then get your equity out of the home. You should book a consultation so you can give your lawyer all the details and get a detailed response as to the best next step. Based on the facts presented, it sounds like you have a strong case but other facts could affect your result.

Ask a Question

All questions submitted will be moderated to determine if they are suitable to appear on the website. Any answers given do not constitute legal advise and are intended for general information only.