Newmarket: (289) 319-0634
Oakville: (905) 291-6634
St. Catharines (905) 291-5231

Questions & Answers

More Days With Kids

I currently have 10 days a month with my 2 kids. I would like 12 days, which coincidentally would be 40%, reducing my child support payment. I work from home and have a very stable life, as does my ex. If ex refuses, what is the likelihood i would win 2 extra days if this went to court? Both kids (8,10) want this. Assuming our incomes are similar, would the support payment automatically drop? In this case it looks to drop from $2000 to $150/month. which is clearly substantial. If i must go through the court system, what what approximately would the cost of trying to get 2 extra days? What is time frame to get this done? A range for both would be fine. Thank you.

— Adam S.


Hi Adam, Custody and access decisions are based on the best interests of the children. Many factors are taken into consideration. It is a highly discretionary area of the law. You would be wise to chat with one of our lawyers so that s/he could learn more of the facts. Even then it is difficult to predict how a judge would rule. It is up to them to decide what is in the best interests of the children. If your motivation for increasing access is to reduce your support obligations, your reception by the judges will not be possible. They want to know why it is best for the children. I wish I could give you a more decisive response but it would be irresponsible for me to do so. Good luck.

Ask a Question

All questions submitted will be moderated to determine if they are suitable to appear on the website. Any answers given do not constitute legal advise and are intended for general information only.